Saturday, September 10, 2011

Blog Post #3

I commented on Taylor Lane's blog today. I enjoyed reading it because he was very descriptive and informative. I also liked how he integrated pictures into his blog post. I offered my compliments and suggestions publicly because I feel like it is a great motivator for the author. It feels good to see compliments and also suggestions to help make his writing better.



"It's Not About the Technology" Posted by Kelly Hines

The Original Computer

Mrs. Hines blog is not about the use of technology, but about the importance of the teachers' education. It is extremely important for a teacher to not just teach but he or she needs to be a life long learner. It does no good for a teacher to have an expensive piece of technology in their classroom, if that teacher does not know how to use it well enough or can't explain the use of it to a student.

She talks about how teaching and learning are not the same thing. "Learning will not look the same to all students or all teachers, but it must be the goal." Basically, I believe that if a teacher doesn't put forth the effort to keep up with technology, that teacher may not understand some of what their students do. If the teacher can not connect with the student, how much is that teacher really teaching??



Karl Fisch "Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?"

cartoon

Mr. Fisch writes about the literacy of teachers about technology. He believes it is almost immoral to not understand fluently how to use a computer and programs associated with one. I agree that a teacher should know a great deal about technology, when we are in an age where technology is so prominent in the world.

There are many advantages to understanding these technologies and passing them on to our children and students. We as teachers greatly influence our children and students by the actions we take and the words we say. We would be very discouraging, if we as teachers, told a student "I don't know much about that". We also would even look like a bad teacher because it would be as if we weren't even willing to learn about it. What kind of message would that send to our students?



Gary Hayes Social Media Count




I had no idea how fast social media was rising in the world. When I looked at this media counter, I was astonished at the numbers. They consistently rise by the second. In a way this is scary to me, to think how fast the world is changing. I also believe that it is a great thing to be able to associate with so many people from all over the world.

By gaining access to so many diverse cultures and opinions, it can be very helpful to us. It can also be beneficial for us to be up to date on what is going on in the world. That way we can be socially literate and knowledgeable.



Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today


This video was very eye-opening for me. I never realized how much time any one person would spend on the computer, phone, and even watching TV. The video was extremely attention getting with all the students holding up their papers with their specific statistics on them.

It is very concerning to think about the fact that a job I am going to school for now, may not even exist by the time I graduate. It shows how much of a person's everyday life is consumed by technology and all the "old school" methods are becoming outdated. Teachers need to be able to be on a students level with the increasingly fast pace of the technology explosion.

2 comments:

  1. Deena, I thought you did a good job on your blog post. As teachers, we have to work really hard to keep up with the changes in the world and in technology. There are so many tools available to us as a result of the internet and social media. I really liked the chart you used. Those figures are amazing! The only critique I can give you is that I may have structured some of my sentences differently, but I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the question that you asked: " If the teacher can not connect with the student, how much is that teacher really teaching??" This is important because many teachers don't attempt to connect with their students.

    The media count is crazy isn't it? The first time I saw this I was amazed at how much technology and social media is changing and being used. Isn't this a good indicator that we as teachers need to know something about this?

    Good post Deena,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete