Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blog Post due 10/30

In watching the video "Do You Want to Teach or Educate", I learned the difference in teaching or educating.  When you teach someone something you "give information", but when you educate someone you "inspire" them to be eager to learn.  I have wanted to be a teacher since I was about 4 years old.  I have an aunt and two uncles who have always been in the education field and I have always looked up to them.


educate





I would always ask a ton of questions and would listen to their conversations about their students.  I found what they were talking about so interesting.  They always took the time to listen to me and talk to me and that encouraged me to want to be like them.  I found it fascinating to learn about the diversity of their students and I knew that I, too, wanted to have that experience.  My brother, cousins, and I would "play school" on the weekends and, of course, I was always the teacher.  My aunt mentored me in so many ways, including letting me come to her classroom and giving me old teachers' books to play with.  She would  even show me how to put grades in a grade book.



teacher and students




I want to educate my students, like I saw my aunt do with her students.  Her students looked up to her so much and they even remember specific things she taught them, so many years ago.  She made a lasting impression on them, and that is what I wish to do for my own students.  I want to mentor them and show them how to be inspired by what they could learn!






Tom Johnson's "Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!"


This post really hit home with me. It was great to see that throughout the post, the teachers were able to come up with a solution to their problem. Instead of just taking the pencils away from the students, to keep their own reputations in tact, they worked out a way that the children would still benefit from.

hands



The school that my own children go to, is a small town school. They are a very good school, but they are also very centralized on great test scores (some of the highest in our county), and I wish they would read this post (which I may suggest they do).

It is really good to see how passionate the teacher was about trusting the students to stay interested and use the pencils correctly. Even if they didn't, they would most likely learn something from their experiences.

test sheet

2 comments:

  1. Grade books. Ugh. i will we could get rid of them.

    Johnson: You missed the metaphor. You are not the first. Additional Assignment: Read these three posts:

    1. Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    In that post there is a Special Assignment. Do that assignment in a new post which is Additional Post #1. It does NOT substitute for Blog Post #14 as it did in the Spring semester.

    Due midnight Sunday November 20, 2011.

    2. Metaphor Discussion Update

    3. Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here is My Answer

    4. For more information also see:
    You Missed the Point! It's Not A Pencil…"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deena,

    I really like the format of your blog. It is very colorful and the pictures you use are great.

    As an educator, it is incredibly important to listen to what your students are saying. It looks like you have great role models in your two uncles and your aunt who are in the education field. If you listen to your students and are there for them, I am sure that you will inspire and educate them. We need more educators out there who will educate their students rather than teach them.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete